A successful clinical trial depends on effectively enrolling and retaining participants. As the study progresses from Phase 1 to Phase 3 the number of participants required increases.
Research shows that 9 out of 10 trials would not meet enrollment goals in a stipulated time which results in delays in finding new and better medication.
The complexity in trials is another key factor that is responsible for low enrollment rates.
Studies show that only 10 to 27% of patients with Alzheimer’s are eligible for trials. In a study of Alzheimer’s 205 patients with the disease were selected from the database initially. The following were not included based on the specific inclusion and exclusion criteria.
The following are the key challenges that impact patient enrollment and retention.
- Lack of awareness
- 50% of all respondents were not aware of clinical trials.
- 4% have participated in a trial.
- 96% have never participated in a trial.
- Participants prefer communication and motivation about trials from their immediate care physicians. The physicians are unaware of research possibilities and might hesitate to refer elderly patients to studies. The approval to participate in a trial depends on the advice of the doctor and trust in his practice.
- Complex protocol
- The complexity in trials is another key factor that is responsible for low enrollment rates.
- Studies show that only 10 to 27% of patients with Alzheimer’s are eligible for trials. In a study of Alzheimer’s 205 patients with the disease were selected from the database initially. The following were not included based on the specific inclusion and exclusion criteria.
- 57% had abnormalities with MRI
- 37% were on unauthorized medication
- 37% lack of study informant
- 24%presence of non-authorized disease
- Long manual procedures
- Patients are burdened with questionnaires which are lengthy, and they eventually lose interest. Once enrolled they undergo test procedures in many health centers at various intervals based on the study requirements. Patients are unwilling to undergo few procedures like brain imaging and quit due to this.
- Treatment risks
- 52% faced adverse effects in Amitriptyline group
- 27% under the Placebo group
- 3% withdrew from the study
The frequent adverse effects reported were drowsiness, constipation and dry mouth.
Cloudbyz is focussed on providing innovative solutions for life science customers. Cloudbyz ClinicalWave solution built 100% native on Salesforce brings all the clinical trial stakeholders together. Patients, as well as the healthy Volunteers, can search for clinical trials pertaining to their therapeutic condition, age, location and other parameters. Interested volunteers can undergo prescreening through phone or website.
Our solution builds awareness and educates the general public and patient population on a clinical trial, process, benefits and risks. Cloudbyz CTMS solution offers real-time visibility on recruitment metrics to enhance patient recruitment and retention.